Forging Optimal Health & Wellness















Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Slow Down #2...Take Notes

For a few years of my early “adult” life I thought I would grow up to be a writer; I have the student loans and a piece of paper somewhere to prove it. The funny thing about me and writing is that sitting down to write was just about impossible and usually done only when a poem or short story was due the following day.

When I started as a G.T. client, my coach “suggested” that I start keeping a daily journal. I started writing in my journal as recommended, initially keeping track of my weight, water intake, exercise and tips that my coach gave me. I didn’t go into much detail but I wrote something down each day. As the weeks progressed, I got more specific with the things that were going on in my days. Before long, writing in my journal became enjoyable and now I am committed.

I have found my journal to be a valuable tool for several reasons. Not only does it provide a record of the basic info, but now I write about the details of my day. My journal is a tool for contemplation and brainstorming and allows me to process things and leave them behind if necessary.

Now that I have been keeping a journal for the last 1 ½ year, I am able to look back and see the changes that I have made physically and mentally, I can look at my weight and reference it with my food from the G.T. food journal and pinpoint things in my diet that affect my body in certain ways. I know that when my weight goes up a few pounds it could be an indication that my immune system is compromised and I may be getting sick or that there may be intolerance to something in my diet.

Not only are my journals packed with information about my body; writing in my journal has become a means to calm my mind and often forces me to stop the busyness that I fill my days with. It is rewarding to look back at the stack of filled journals and know that I set my mind to something and have been dedicated and consistent. There are a few things in my life that I am a bit “obsessed” with and perhaps writing daily in my jouranl is one of them but as someone who shunned journaling for years I am a dedicated convert.

My suggestion is to set a goal and make notes in a journal every day for 2weeks or everyday for a month; whatever feels doable. It may become enjoyable and if that is the case, the information about yourself that you will be able to reference in the future will serve as the material for one of the most in depth and valuable educations available. And who knows, it could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment