Forging Optimal Health & Wellness















Monday, May 24, 2010

Slow Down!

As a Genesis Transformation coach and personal trainer my intention is to offer support and guidance to my clients as they strive to achieve their optimal health and fitness goals. I receive great joy and satisfaction from having a job that I truly love.

As a G.T. coach, I am also a Genesis Transformation client and work with my own coach who supports me and helps to direct the path I am following.
Recently she added a “long, slow run” to my cardiovascular routine.

I realized on my last run that the long run is as much a benefit for my head space as it is for my cardio health. For years running has been my “thing.” In the past I ran obsessively to process the chaos in my brain from all the crap I was putting into my body. Over the last year the reasons why I run have changed. Now a run for me is an opportunity for meditation; it allows me to quiet my mind and organize my thoughts and I often return home full of clarity and motivation for the tasks in front of me.

A long slow run is also a great training tool for your heart (research “aerobic base building”) and body. Your heart is a muscle and just like the rest of the muscles in your body it will perform with greater efficiency if it is properly conditioned. Slow training will also allow you to be mindful of your posture and body position.

This week I am recommending taking time to condition your mind. Take a long walk, run or bike ride in the woods. Leave your music at home and enjoy the world around you. Notice what changes are occurring as spring comes into full bloom. Where do your thoughts lead you? What happens in your body? Are there areas of tension, specific aches and twinges that need attention? Take notes of what you learn about your body and your mind while out and about.

Remember to drink your water and enjoy some quiet time on your own. It is a great personal gift! Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment